Welcome
History
Services
Tip Sheets
Contact Info


History

Jimmie Langill was born in Ottawa, but the family moved to N.D.G. when he was a youngster. Having attended D’Arcy McGee High School, and while a scholar there, he was a member of the school’s all-star football team. Graduating in 1944, Jimmie joined the navy and was a valuable player on the navy hockey team. However he is best remembered for the part he took as a member of the Championship N.D.G. Royals Hockey Team, and later as a member of the Junior Royals.

Although a great lover of sports, he also had always been attracted to animals, so he decided on a career as a veterinarian. With this in mind, he attended the Ontario Veterinary College, upon his discharge from the navy, and after four years of hard work and study, graduated in May 1950 as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

While attending O.V.C., in Guelph, Ontario, he met Muriel Goetz, who in December 1949 became Mrs. Langill.

After graduation, Dr. and Mrs. Langill returned to Montreal and the young doctor hunted high and low for an ideal spot to open the hospital of his dreams. Country and fresh surroundings seemed the logical place but the hospital had to be close to the city. Finally the couple hit upon a spot on Cote de Liesse road and decided it was just right, and so in June 1950, the Liesse Animal Hospital for Horses and Small Animals was opened.

Within a few years, Dr. Jim’s business began to flourish. He knew that he had to build a new modern veterinary hospital, for more than one veterinarian, with two examination rooms, a hospital treatment room, an animal ward, an isolation room, and a large sterile surgery. This building opened as a “state of the art veterinary hospital” in 1955. A separate boarding kennel was built as well, to separate the boarders from the sick, hospitalized patients.

Since our opening in 1950, we have employed many veterinarians, including Dr. Arscott, Dr. Urtnowski, Dr. Baron, Dr. Journet, Dr. Wong, Dr. Papineau-Couture, Dr. Sevigny, Dr. Baker, Dr. Foukal, Dr. Dorfman, Dr. Knopp, and then Dr. Bob Langill who graduated in 1986, and purchased the practice in 2014. Dr. Bob remained a solo practitioner until Dr. Sophia Skoulikas and Dr. Beatriz Gomes joined him in practice in mid 2017. We have seen and treated over 250 thousand animals, of many species. Many of our current clients first came to us as kids, and now come with their own kids. We have a few current clients who have continued to use our services since we opened in 1950.

Each and every year we host an open house during Animal Health Week in October. We also host interactive, fun, educational tours of our facilities for school aged children, who come and have a memorable visit with us. Everyone is welcome!




Welcome | History | Services | Tip Sheets | Contact | Français








Website Design and Hosting by Native Design Services